Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Raspberry Dream



Oooh la la! I had great fun making this yesterday; it survived the night in the fridge and looked quite well this morning I must say! Basically it's a cheesecake recipe, made up of a few ideas from one of those Women's weekly cookbooks (they make me feel like I'm 65 when I buy them, but grannies make the best cakes so it's ok).

You need:
  • 225g of delicious biscuits (I used Hob Nobs but I think ginger nut biscuits would be good too)
  • 60g melted butter
  • 300g raspberries (frozen will do)
  • 2 tsps gelatine
  • 2 tbsps water
  • 375g cream cheese
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 2 tsps lemon juice
  • 300ml cream
  • a 22cm springform tin with cling film around the rim (but not the base, pop that back in after you put the cling film on).
Here's what I did:
  1. Smash up the biscuits in a sandwich bag with a rolling pin or something like that, and then add them to the melted butter and mix well.
  2. Spread this around the base of the tin and leave in the fridge for a half an hour while you make the other bits and pieces
  3. Mix the gelatine and water in a heatproof jug and leave to stand in simmering water for a few mins, stirring it until it's totally disolved. Leave to cool for a few mins.
  4. Beat the cheese, lemon and sugar in a bowl (yay for electric mixers), then beat in the cream and finally stir in the gelatine mix.
  5. Put the raspberries on top of the biscuit base and pour in your filling. It should look like this.


Then you can decorate with a few spare raspberries if you like.


Leave it in the fridge overnight and then you can pop open the tin, gently remove the cling film and be left with something like the picture at the top. A hoard of hungry teachers descended on mine and devoured it in 10 minutes flat. I manage to get a wee crumbly bit for myself... and it was good.

4 comments:

  1. Woah! You've been so busy! Those tea lights are so lovely, You could totally sell them!I've been meaning to make something like that but just didn't know where to begin! And that cheesecake is unreal, I've only every used gelatine a few times, I think its one of those 'mystery' ingredients that I'm scared to use! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah i had a minor disaster with gelatine before where it caked my entire fridge with passionfruit jelly... but totally slid off the top of the actual cake it was supposed to be on! Disaster. Thanks for the comment! The little jars are the same yoghurts as your pesto pot I think! I always have a million of them so now i am going to transform them into an army of candle holders! The beading takes a bit of time though. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maeve that looks like some kind of wonderful amazement. You've outdone yourself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make another one soon and you can have some!

    ReplyDelete